Sunday 28 July 2013

Good Morning Guys

It was a cloudy day with ferocious wind and heavy rain. Myself and a few friends made our way into a small hall where in there already were a motley crowd of about 30 persons with smile on their face and expectations in their eyes. A senior leader, the shepherd had graciously consented to share his knowledge and guide us through with his wisdom.

I greeted a friend with a friendly 'Good Evening' .. and he equally responded with all the jest. 'Good Morning Ashok. Nice to see you' and I just checked my watch. well it was close to 7 PM and by no means a morning unless you are on the other side of the world.

then 'Good Mornings' followed and the senior leader made his appearance with a thunderous 'GOOD MORNING Friends. How are you feeling today?'

I know I know what you guys are thinking :) this is Goa and 7PM is already little late to get high and this sure must be a party going on with rain pouring outside and Whiskey flowing inside the room....Hold on.. the whiskey can wait. we are into a more intoxicating fare here. Aahh welcome to Network Marketing and Yo ... you are in a QNet meet.

So what is this Good Morning all about? I asked my upline not long ago and he said 'Ashok, we are an e-commerce company with global presence and rightly we are on the go 24X7. Every moment some where at some corner of the world, some one is showing a presentation, some one is buying a product. so we always greet our biz partners with a Good Morning nevertheless of the time of the day'.  Aaaah that's it. How cute. what a wonderful to bond and build our brotherhood.

Then I was thinking of my friend in IBM or Toyota or Samsung or an Amazon or EBay for that matter who are a global conglomerate like hundreds of other companies in the world. Never heard any one greet me Good Morning in the night, except when he had downed more pegs than he could sanely manage. I am not implying that these 30 guys in the room were insane.  Imagine you are family n friends having dinner at 9 PM at a restaurant and this QNet guy from the far end shouts ' Hey Ashok. Good Morning' .......shucks !!

But then why? why cant you just be normal and greet the time of the day? why do you want to stand out with something weird? Greetings are what? just greetings. I don't think it implies anything more than an exchange of pleasantries, a matter of courtesy, But taking pleasantry to a different level concocting it with a global biz is something which has tinges of cult following. What has biz to do with a simple greeting I cannot fathom nor I can understand the necessity to warp a pleasant exchange.

My friends mock me at the QNet meeting with a sheepish grin and an Good Morning while I am content with a good afternoon or good evening. then more laughs follow at my defiance for not towing the line. May be my cup is yet full. ( this cup matter we will take up another day).. So as I was saying about inculcating a cultish behavior where in whatever is administered from above has to be followed with no questions asked and propagated downward with vociferous intensity. It also becomes one of the barometers (there are many) to assess your acceptance of the system. I say this because it is not easy for a man to say Good Morning when it is 7 PM in the evening unless you are conditioned to consciously call it out such and that takes some conditioning of the mind and when that happens your free will takes a back seat.

So what am I trying to convey? Nothing much but just a say that a simple greeting can be used as a powerful tool, first to coerce your mind (as it is against the normal) and later as a subtle demonstration to the society that you are different from the office going 'Morons' and within peers that you guys are a team and united in the quest for financial freedom.... Phew... Can a small twisted greeting achieve all this???/

Who knows, this network marketing biz is all about subtle cues leading to hardened views. :)

Time for my dinner now. 'Good Morning Guys' !!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment